The downfall of Zillow’s iBuying business is a reminder of the downsides of relying too much on automation and machine learning algorithms at this stage in the evolution of technology.
A conversation about the pitfalls of real estate valuations leads John Cook and me into a larger discussion about the continued importance of human judgment and attention in the modern world.
Plus, cat vs. coyote: the crazy scene on my Ring camera this week.
And in our final segment, we test a new feature: Tech Crank, in which we each offer a rant about something irksome in the tech world this week.
Listen below, subscribe in any podcast app, and continue reading for links to the stories we discuss.
- Why the iBuying algorithms failed Zillow, and what it says about the business world’s love affair with AI
- Redfin CEO explains how its iBuyer home buying program avoided pitfalls that sunk Zillow Group
- NYT: Inside Amazon’s Worst Human Resources Problem
- Bloomberg: Highly Paid Union Workers Give UPS a Surprise Win in Delivery Wars
- Forget porch pirates, our Ring camera captured video of a cat escaping a coyote in Seattle
- Amazon-backed electric vehicle maker Rivian races to huge stock market debut after IPO
- Microsoft serves up a Google Chromebook rival with $250 Surface Laptop SE for students
Podcast produced by Curt Milton. Theme music by Daniel L.K. Caldwell